Saturday, December 7, 2013

bang! 12/6/2013

     My trip to bang! for the first time in five years was off the chain.  I was after some lunch, having been to the post office on a day when the high was ten degrees F.  Located in a neighborhood of Victorian and other homes, the place was one where I sensed a passion for learning.  I entered into a swirl of conversation.  "What's her status?"
     "Are you teaching this week?"
     "What should I have (for lunch)?"
     "It's a real intellectual experience.  It's a parenting moment."  Yeah, I bet it is.  I ordered before another guy, who asked my server what he should have.  She recommended to him the same thing which I ordered, telling him that it's her favorite.  I wondered if I had stepped into some kind of cult.  I'm sitting in front of a part of the opposite wall which juts out.  Facing me is a row of foot square steel upper case letters.  From ceiling to floor, they spell the word "MARINATE".  Now I am convinced that I have indeed entered a cult.  (Occult?)  A guy next to me stands up.  He's on his phone as he puts on his coat.  "So, just print two copies of page three..."  bang! is forty some odd blocks north of my own graffiti- and empty 40 ounce bottle-ridden neighborhood, and here among the signs reminding me that I am in a "historic neighborhood", I have yet to hear any conversations about trasitioning from prison to a halfway house.  Instead, there are three women who appear to be in their fifties or sixties at a table in a corner.  "...marriage bed...difference in age...he's not as aggressive.  I've had wonderful moments with him.  It's a good book.  I going to recommend - it's wonderful for us.  It's called Raising Cain.  (Kane?)  It teaches boys instead of having an IQ to have an EQ.  Rasing Cain.  (The author is) Michael somebody."
     The lunch crowd is clearing out.   Individual kitchen and front end staff come out and then return toward the kitchen, cleaning tables.  Time for me to return as well, only I will be joining those outside in the single digit temperatures.  I take with me the wisdom which I have gathered.  The importance of marinating in the parenting moment.  Thank you, Michael somebody, wherever you are.  Here at bang!, everybody is somebody,

No comments:

Post a Comment