Sunday, July 23, 2017

OMNI June 1981

Film/The Arts, By J. Rosen
     "I didn't find "Star Wars" exciting and couldn't understand what all the cheering was about.  Peter Hyams was knocked out by it...he was brought up on that kind of comics thing.  I'm more interested in the quality of the writing than in how the subject's going to look on the screen."  Seldom has a human being been shown to be as frail...a part of the cosmos as in "Outland."  ...a very distinctive design, grainy and ominous, yet...ethereal.  ...special-effects techniques...Introvision.  Developed over a seven-year period by former television executive John Eppolito.  ...composites actors with photographs and miniature models right in the camera.  ...the $12 million film looks as if it costs many times more than that.

Books/ The Arts, By A. B. Cover
     In this era of high inflation, exorbitant rents, and usurious taxes, the privately owned bookstore is at the mercy of a runaway economy.

Imagineering/Explorations, By H. Hellman
     ...Disney World...has an unrivaled record as a pioneer of new technologies for feeding, housing, and transporting large numbers of people.

Fiction/Angel At The Gate, by R. M. Griffin
     He unlatched his nose shell...so he could dig out the filter cartridge...  Twenty years before, when he's been brought in with his nose and chin and cheeks sheared away, the Army doctors had given him gas team implants...they were under orders to recycle casualties back to the front as soon as possible.  ...the nightmares...clawing at the hatch of the...tank...as yellow gas snaked from the jammed vents, then...outside...laser beams...

Fiction/A Sepulcher of Songs, By O. S. Card
     ...there were pillows where her arms should be...and...she had no legs...  My job was...as a state-employed therapist...  "There isn't any sound in outer space.  The engines.  You can hear them all over the ship.  Anansa told me."  Another imaginary friend.  "She sings to me.  In my sleep.  She's out there in her starship...I can't escape her now anymore at all.  ...in space, and it's black...and she reaches into the dust out there and draws in the songs and turns them into the music...  She says it's the songs that drive her between the stars.  She says that if I can learn the songs, she can pull me out of my body and take me there and give me arms and legs...  I'm not joking!  She's ramming her way through space so fast it makes me dizzy whenever she shows me."  The nurse nodded...  "When she's asleep...singing...the melodies are awful.  And her voice gets funny and raspy."  I did not go back...on Sunday...it was Wednesday...  "Hi," she said.  "This isn't the way she said it was - she said it was-"  She.  ...I thought.  She could be anyone.  "She said?  Who said?" I asked.  "I meant to stay with her," she said.  "But then I hear you."  "Anasna," I said, realizing at the moment who was with me.  "She heard you, but she wouldn't come.  She wouldn't trade her new arms and legs for anything."  "Where is she?" I asked.  "Out there," she said.  "She sings better than I ever did."  She was still there, hidden in her own mind, looking out through this imaginary person she had created...  I noticed that she was shaking her head.  "You won't find her," she said.  And then I realized that she had answered thoughts I hadn't put into words.










No comments:

Post a Comment